Mission and Goals
- PEDS is dedicated to making metro Atlanta safe and accessible for all pedestrians.
- Change community attitudes to favor pedestrians.
- Increase walking and other pedestrian activity.
- Ensure the design of pedestrian-oriented communities.
- Advance the equitable use of transportation funds.
- Make sidewalks and crossings safe and accessible to all users.
- Reduce the risk to pedestrians of injury and death.
- Train transportation professionals in pedestrian-friendly design.
- Combat pedestrian-unfriendly policies, plans and developments.
- Alert the public about issues that improve or threaten pedestrian safety.
- Promote effective traffic calming measures.
- Work with police to enforce crosswalk laws.
- Attract media attention to walkability and pedestrian safety.
- Make drivers aware of the laws that protect pedestrians.
- Propose and support legislation favorable to pedestrians.