Let the City of Atlanta know how to invest the local share of the proposed transportation sales taxFebruary 29, 2012 at 10:48am by Sally Flocks · 3 comments
On July 31, voters within the ten-county Atlanta region will vote whether to fund projects through a regional transportation sales tax. The estimated $7.2 billion raised through this tax over ten years will be split into two separate pots of money. Some $6.1 billion (85% of the total) will be used for regional projects selected last October by the Regional Transportation Roundtable. The remaining 15% will be allocated directly to counties and cities.
The City of Atlanta expects to receive $9 million per year for ten years to spend on local projects. City officials are working to develop a rolling five-year list of projects to be funded by the 15% local allocation if the referendum passes in July.
To get public input on how residents want this money invested, the City is holding a series of information sessions. PEDS is encouraging the City to invest in repairing broken sidewalks, installing pedestrian activated signals and other devices that make it safe to cross the streets, and converting streets that were designed for cars only into ones that are safe for all users. We encourage you to attend one or more of these sessions to learn more about the referendum and to speak up for investing in a walkable Atlanta If you can’t attend, please submit your comments by e-mail to email@example.com or call 404-330-6145 by March 15, 2012.
Just two sessions remain:
Thursday, March 1, 2012 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm (presentations at 6:00pm and 7:00pm)
Atrium, MARTA Headquarters, 2424 Piedmont Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30324
Accessible via MARTA Gold & Red Lines and bus routes 5, 6, 27, 30 and 39
Monday, March 5, 2012 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm (presentations at 6:00pm and 7:00pm)
Carpenter’s House, Atlanta Mission, 2353 Bolton Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Accessible via MARTA bus route 60
If you need special accommodations please call 404-330-6145 at least 24 hours before the session you plan to attend.