Led by Director Bob Dallas,the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety understands the importance of sharing the road, the relationship between land use and transportation, and the impact of street design on safety. GOHS also knows that one pedestrians account for one out of eight traffic fatalities in metro Atlanta.
Recognizing PEDS as a valuable partner in its efforts to increase safety, GOHS recently renewed its support by awarding us a $69,100 grant. We’ll use these funds to:
- Take a seat at the transportation planning table by participating in numerous public meetings and serving on local, regional, and state task forces and advisory committees.
- Generate media attention to the difficulty of accessing transit on high speed, multi-lane roads that lack safe crossings.
- Conduct site visits and walking tours that increase awareness of the need to repair broken sidewalks and create safer crossings
- Participate in radio talk shows, where we’ll discuss drivers’ responsibilities to pedestrians
- Work with police officers and the media to facilitate high visibility crosswalk sting operations.
PEDS thanks the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety for partnering with us to promote safe, accessible streets for pedestrians.